“Knowledge, acumen, intelligence and expertise can only function at the peak of their capacity when the body is healthy and strong”
A young Dynamic leader and fervent entrepreneur Dr. Vijay Patil, President and Chancellor of D Y Patil University, Pune, is passionately working in the field of education, medical science and sports in India. Universities are engaged running the UG and PG programs under various schools namely engineering, medical, science, pharmacy, law, agriculture, biotechnology, architecture, design, management and sports programs. Being a strategist, he is strengthening various policies and systems for the academic standards, management and administration. Strategic plans designed by him are emphasized on creation of universities and institutions as future makers in the 21st Century. His guidance to universities for initiating new innovative programs, designing undergraduate and post graduate degree programs in the context of changing economy, technology and required industry competencies; research initiatives and collaboration, industry and academia partnerships, internationalization, creation of infrastructure and development of human resource are commendable.
Today under his leadership two universities and more than 20 renowned educational institutes are creating future leaders and entrepreneurs. Currently, more than 17,000 students are studying at the campuses.
Created the internationally acclaimed multi-disciplinary Dr D Y Patil International Sports Stadium, which has been universally applauded by sports critics as the finest sporting facility in India which has been rated as one of the 6 best stadiums in the world. This stadium has also been honored with the ‘Best Stadium Experience’ award during the IPL Awards 2010.
President and Chief Initiator
- President of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA)
- In 2004, as a President he has been instrumental for conceptualizing, establishing a healthcare institution “Padma Shri Dr. D Y Patil Hospital & Research Centre”, a super specialty 900 bed charitable hospital.
- “Padma Shri Dr. D Y Patil International Sports Academy” at Nerul, Navi Mumbai. The D Y Patil stadium has been rated as one of the 6 best stadiums in the world and was awarded the ‘Best Stadium Experience’ award in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2010.
- Established Dr D Y Patil Sports Academy of which is dedicated to promoting and advancing research, development and education in the field of cricket & other sports since past 21 years. The Academy encourages sports vision awareness and ensures comprehensive vision care for amateur and professional athletes of all ages and abilities in many sports fields. Needless to say vision is to be the Pride of India and put India on the global scale of competitive sports.
- Conducted benefit match for Sri Ramakant Achrekar in the year 1991
- Constructed a cricket ground in Navi Mumbai in 1994 & has subsequently built four cricket grounds at Navi Mumbai and Ambi Talegaon, Pune
- Provided a world class backup facility to the association in the form of Dr. D Y Patil Sports Stadium for the development of Wankhede Stadium
- Initiated the First T20 tournament in the country under the auspices of MCA which provides platform for budding cricketers for IPL teams
- Provided education opportunities to players, officials, administrators & club members in different institutions established by hi
- Started education program related to sports in collaboration with Griffith University to promote sports
- Organizing of legal support and working for under privileged children and free health check up camps for the Arogya Melava.
Awards and Honors
Bestowed with many prestigious awards and accolades in appreciation of his selfless service to the cause of education and sports.
- "Maharashtra Gaurav Award " for contribution in Indian Sports.
- Australian Government presented “Alumni Excellence Commendation for Education” in recognition of academic achievement & professional pursuit.
- The Rotary Foundation awarded “The Paul Harris fellowship”
- The Indian Dental Association awarded “Achievement Recognition Citation Honor Award”
- Indian Merchants Chamber (IMC), Mumbai has conferred “The Jewel of Navi Mumbai” award for the leadership and contribution in the construction city of 21st Century.
- The Giants Group, (Giants International) honored in recognition of strategic approach to achieve excellence in the field of education.
- Honored with the Letter of Appreciation from Commanding Officer of 22 GRENADIERS for rendering selfless help towards the bereaved families of soldiers of Indian Army
- Kukkiwon, World Taekwondo Headquarters awarded “Letter of Appreciation” in recognition of the enthusiastic and unsparing co-operation and support rendered for popularization and development of Taekwondo.